Disney California Adventure’s newest land recently launched its first blockbuster attraction and its a web slinging blast! Review this step-by-step guide of how to secure your WEB SLINGERS Virtual Queue boarding pass and join Spider-Man in his new Avenger’s Campus romp.
Since its mediocre launch in 2001, Disney California Adventure has undergone name changes, theme changes and investments that far exceeded the cost to build the initial park. Much as Disney did with Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, they are doing a phased roll out of Avenger’s Campus. First up is WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure, an interactive and exhausting (the Nerd is quite competitive) attraction. 2022 is expected to see the launch of the true centerpiece of Avenger’s Campus.
In the meantime, Disney seems to be following the same formula s they did for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge with Millennium Falcon – Smugglers Run; namely to introduce the second tier attraction first and build anticipation (and additional visits by paying guests) for the true headliner.
In the meantime, follow our Nerdy guide to securing your spot in the Web Slingers virtual queue!
A little history of Disney virtual queues, the rules, being prepared and some FAQ
- Currently, virtual boarding passes are issued at 7am and 12pm
- You must have a virtual boarding pass to ride, there is no standby line and there is not anticipated to be Lightening Lane/Genie availability (even when these new programs launch)
- You must have a Disneyland Resort Theme Park Reservation for California Adventure. If Park Hopping, California Adventure must be your “Starting” park.
- You must have the Disneyland app and be logged in. Technically, there are some ways around this, but why make it difficult?
Step 1 – Download the Disneyland app and log into your account
Easy, right? In fact you probably already did this! Navigate to the “hamburger” menu in the lower right and select Virtual Queues. It’s good to explore this area a bit and work out a few of the kinks prior to “go time”. Don’t worry, you are not going to mess anything up.
Step 2 – Secure Your Park Reservation
Ensure everyone in your party who is hoping to snag a spot in the Web Slingers virtual queue has a park reservation at California Adventure. If park hopping, California Adventure must be your “starting park”. Without this, those without a reservation will be unable to join the virtual queue and not be permitted entry to the park. We’ve checked – WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure is impossible to ride without being in queue and without being the park. See? We’ve got your back and go the extra distance so you don’t have to wonder!
Step 3 – Ensure everyone’s tickets are linked to one account
If your purchased tickets through one Disneyland account or through the app, your entire party should have their tickets noted in the app. Click the hamburger menu in the lower right of the app and select Tickets and Passes to verify. If anyone is missing, select the plus button in the upper right and follow the instructions to add their ticket.
Because WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure is “all or nothing” and you either get a ticket or you don’t, the Nerds recommend all tickets are on one app lest you risk one party securing tickets while the other is left out in the cold. Nerdy Side Note: If this happens, you can ask very, very nicely when you are called back to ride. One very nice Cast Member let the four people we were with join us despite them being a couple of seconds too late to snag a Web Slingers virtual queue spot.
Step 4 – Confirm Your Party
In a stroke of genius, the folks at Disneyland now allow users of the Disneyland app to confirm their party in the hour before virtual queue passes are issued. This is a great way to confirm that you have all the tickets in your account, that everyone has the right park reservation and to select those who will be part of your party.
For users who have had extra tickets linked to their account, this eliminates having to select who is in your party at the moment the virtual queue is live – a huge stress saver and it allows users to fix any issues or link additional tickets with time to spare!
Step 5 – Set an alarm so you are fully alert and ready by 6:55am Pacific
7am is early on vacation – but this still beats getting up, getting dressed, being through the turnstiles by 630a and standing around for 90 minutes to maybe get in the virtual queue. Once you are ready navigate to the hamburger button and select Virtual Queues. Ensure you have a strong connection via your cellular network or WiFi and double check that your phone is synced properly to the global clock (okay, this is overkill, but do be sure you didn’t manually set your clock).
Do not click “join virtual queue….yet. But you are getting close to your WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure!
Step 6 – At precisely 7am Pacific, push “join virtual queue”
As the digital numbers on your device switch from 6:59am to 7:00am, click “join virtual queue” and follow the instructions to join the Web Slingers virtual queue. The app will default to Disneyland and you will want to quickly click into California Adventure. From there, the app will automatically select the tickets on your account with a valid DCA park registration for the day and once you push the button to confirm….you’ll instantly know whether you are “in” or whether you are “out”.
HINT: if you are already in the Confirm Your Party spot, you can pull the refresh the screen precisely at 7am and join the virtual queue from there.
If you made it – party time!! Take a screen shot and let your party how awesome you are (I did!) and get ready for your glorious day. With Rise of the Resistance Disneyland’s “up time” improving, the virtual queue now provides an estimated return time. In this case, ours was in two hours because the park was not scheduled to open until 9am.
If you did not secure a virtual boarding pass, you have some decisions to make.
- Option 1: Go to California Adventure and have a great day! In order to have a chance to join the virtual boarding groups at 12pm, you must have already entered the park and have already scanned your ticket for the day. Although snagging a Web Slingers Virtual Queue spot would be a great addition to your day, the attraction is not the “show-stopper” that Rise of the Resistance is and you will still have plenty of headliner attractions to keep you busy.
- Option 2: Change your park reservation to Disneyland and attempt your Web Slingers virtual queue quest another day. Don’t get any Park Hopping ideas – we know you were thinking it! Currently, park hopping is not available until 1pm and the second round of Web Slingers virtual queue slots are issued at 12pm and only available to people who began their day at Disney California Adventure.
Step 7 – Strut around California Adventure knowing your Spider-Man adventure awaits!
Seriously, go enjoy yourself knowing you will soon be called upon to help Peter Parker defeat some Marvel super villains. If you’ve previously experienced this attraction, you know it’s a fun time. If this is your first time, we have no doubt you’ll have a lot of fun!
BONUS Step if attempting to join the Web Slingers virtual queue at 12pm
If you did not secure your spot in the Web Slingers virtual queue at 7am and you opted to visit the park hoping for another shot, here are some details to keep in mind. We spoke with several Cast Members about the best strategy (because we missed our early chance one morning and found ourselves at pining for a second shot in the afternoon):
- Turn off WiFi and use your cellular service
- Close the Disneyland app fully until about three minutes prior to the release of the spots
- Have only one person in your party attempt to secure passes as multiple attempts on different devices can cancel out one another
Some other stuff you should know
There are a few WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure virtual queue rules that are not particularly well known, but could save you a lot of frustration:
- Even if you secure a Web Slingers virtual queue spot that seems unlikely to be called, keep the faith. It’s very possible – and even likely – that you will get called. We’ve had virtual queue positions called as late as 3 minutes prior to park closing.
- If you miss your window, still head to the attraction and talk to a Cast Member. They are very forgiving about those who miss their time slot, but they do not allow early arrivals to experience WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure. If for some reason it does not go smoothly, wait a beat and try a different Cast Member.
- If you and your party are on different apps/accounts and one of you secures a boarding group and they other does not, go see someone at WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure when the party with the Web Slingers virtual queue is able to board. While not guaranteed, Cast Members do their best to help parties experience the attraction together. If you strike out with one person, don’t fret. Turn on the charm and ask someone else. Chances are, your party will be able to ride together.
RELATED: 5 Disneyland Virtual Queue Tips
That’s all you need to dive into the world of Marvel and the Avenger’s Campus first attraction!