Disney’s Hollywood Studios’ blockbuster attraction is a blast!
Review this UPDATED step-by-step guide of how to secure a boarding pass and ride Rise of the Resistance in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios has stepped up its game in recent years and it is now one of the most desirable parks to visit. Especially if you’ve been bitten by the Star Wars bug.
From the Star Wars Hotel to now, the Rise of the Resistance there are starting to be more ways to enjoy Stars Wars at Disney Parks.
As a friendly reminder from the Nerds, be sure to secure your Park Pass reservation otherwise you will not be able to attempt to secure a post in the Rise of the Resistance virtual queue nor permitted entrance into Hollywood Studios…and if you are not in the park, it makes it really difficult to experience this attraction.
Rise of the Resistance Virtual Queue: A little history, the rules, being prepared and some FAQ
- Currently, virtual boarding passes are issued at 7am and 1pm
- You must have a virtual boarding pass to ride, there is no standby line and there is no FastPass+ availability (even when the program comes back online)
- You must have the My Disney Experience app and be logged in (technically there are some ways around this, but why make it difficult).
How to use the Rise of the Resistance Virtual Queue in 5 Easy Steps
Step 1: Download the My Disney Experience app and log into your account
Easy, right? In fact you probably already did this! Navigate to the “hamburger” menu in the lower right and select Virtual Queues. It’s good to explore this area a bit and work out a few of the kinks prior to “go time”. Don’t worry, you are not going to mess anything up.
Step 2: Secure Your Park Reservation
Ensure everyone in your party who is hoping to experience Rise of the Resistance has a park reservation at Disney’s Hollywood Studios for the day you all want to experience the attraction. Without this, those without a reservation will be unable to join the virtual queue and not be permitted entry to the park. We’ve checked – Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance is impossible to ride without being in queue and without being the park. See? We’ve got your back and go the extra distance so you don’t have to wonder!
Step 3: Set an alarm so you are fully alert and ready by 6:58am Eastern
7am is early on vacation – but this still beats getting up, getting dressed, being through the turnstiles by 630a and standing around for 90 minutes to maybe get in the virtual queue.
Once you are ready navigate to the hamburger button and select Virtual Queues. Ensure you have a strong connection via your cellular network or WiFi and double check that your phone is synced properly to the global clock (okay, this is overkill, but do be sure you didn’t manually set your clock).
Do not click, “join virtual queue”….yet. But you are getting close to your Rise of the Resistance adventure!
Step 4: At precisely 7am Eastern, push “join virtual queue”
As the digital numbers on your device switch from 6:59am to 7:00am, click “join virtual queue” and follow the instructions to join the Rise of the Resistance virtual queue and select your riding party.
Once you push the button… you’ll know whether you are “in” or whether you are “out”.
If you made it – party time!! Take a screen shot and let your party how awesome you are (I did!) and get ready for your glorious day at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. With “up time” improving, the Rise of the Resistance virtual queue now provides an estimated return time.
In this case, ours was in two hours because the park was not scheduled to open until 9am.
If you did not secure a virtual boarding pass, you have some decisions to make.
- Option 1: Go to Disney’s Hollywood Studios any way! In order to have a chance to join the virtual boarding groups at 1pm, you must physically be in the park and have already scanned your ticket for the day. Although Rise of the Resistance is a show-stopper, you will still have plenty of headliner attractions to keep you busy.
- Option 2: Change your park reservation to a different park and attempt your Rise of the Resistance virtual queue another day. Don’t get any Park Hopping ideas – we know you were thinking it! Currently, park hopping is not available until 2pm and the second round of Rise of the Resistance virtual queue slots are issued at 1pm. The math is pretty telling. It won’t work.
Step 5: Strut around Hollywood Studios with confidence…you are part of the Resistance!
Seriously, go enjoy yourself.
Or if Rise of the Resistance is your primary plan for the day, go back to bed and arrive later in the day (but not too late!). If you’ve experience the attraction, you know you are in for an incredible treat. If this is your first time, you’ll not soon forget it (the Nerd wishes he could experience this attraction again for the first time).
BONUS TIP: If attempting to join the Rise of the Resistance virtual queue at 1pm read this
If you did not secure your spot in the Rise of the Resistance virtual queue at 7am and you opted to visit the park hoping for another shot, here are some details to keep in mind.
We spoke with several Cast Members about the best strategy (because we missed our early chance one morning and found ourselves at Hollywood Studios in the afternoon).
One particularly helpful Cast Member, David, had three tips (all of which were backed up by our Disney VIP Tour Guide):
- Turn off WiFi and use your cellular service
- Close the My Disney Experience app fully until about three minutes prior to the release of the spots
- Have only one person in your party attempt to secure passes as multiple attempts on different devices can cancel out one another
Some other Rise of the Resistance virtual queue tips you should know
There are a few Rise of the Resistance virtual queue rules that are not particularly well known, but could save you a lot of frustration:
- You might have to wait until the last minute
Once, we secured our boarding group in the afternoon allotment and it was way, way, way back. Group 102. Hollywood Studios was scheduled to close at 7pm and our boarding group was called at 6:57pm. We were given 30 minutes to return… so don’t be dismayed if it doesn’t look good. Disney does what they can to accommodate as many guests as possible.
- Talk with different cast members in case you miss your time slot
If you miss your window, still head to the attraction and talk to a Cast Member. They are very forgiving about those who miss their time slot, but do not allow early arrivals to experience Rise of the Resistance virtual queue. If for some reason it does not go smoothly, wait a beat and try a different Cast Member.
- Experience the attraction together even though you’re using different apps
If you and your party are on different apps and one of you secures a boarding group and they other does not, go see someone at Rise of the Resistance or one of the Cast Members under the blue umbrellas. While not guaranteed, they do their best to help parties experience the attraction together. If you strike out with one person, don’t fret. Turn on the charm and ask someone else. Chances are, your party will be able to ride together.
Final thoughts on the Rise of the Resistance Virtual Queue
Using the Rise of the Resistance Virtual Queue is not impossible. You now know everything you need to know about using the Rise of the Resistance virtual queue. That’s all you need to know in order to have an amazing time on the most technologically advanced attraction on the planet.
May the Force be with you!